BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND Friendster Layouts »

Friday, March 13, 2009

You're The Reason Our Kids Are Ugly

Now, don't freak out! I do not think my kids are ugly! It's just the phone conversation DH and I just had made me think of this song.

You see, it's Friday and DH just wants to get home from work. I said something along the lines of I was sorry he had to be there. He replied, "It's all your fault. Yours, Little Man's, and the Princess'". At first I was taken aback by this. Then I said 'Yep, and the three of you are responsible for me being elbow deep in dish water while I'm talking to you". Indeed, when you have a family you tend to find yourself doing things that you sometimes wish you didn't have to do, but I would not change a thing! Life may not be perfect, we may not have gobs of money, yet as the song says "I love you just the same".

I think part of having a family means sacrifice. You may not have everything you want, but does it really matter? Our family has all that is important: food, shelter, clothes, and each other. We do not really want for anything. Sure, more money would make life easier, but I doubt it would make us happier. My happiness is the happiness of my family. I love being a stay at home wife & mom. There is nothing I enjoy more than taking care of my family. I feel it is what I was meant to do.

Now, I'm not June Cleaver or Donna Reed and I do sometimes get overwhelmed by doing everything on my own. Sometimes my family seems to think that mom and slave or indentured servant are one in the same. I do not appreciate having to pick up after the whole household like the are toddlers. I am completely aware of the fact that everyone in this house sometimes takes advantage of dear old Mom. "Just leave your plate on the table, Mom will get it" etc...But I really do feel like taking care of my family is what I am here to do. I don't mind the laundry, dishes, cooking, cleaning, more laundry, scrubbing, dusting, yet more laundry...at least most of the time. I will freely admit there are times when I need a break or wish I had a sick day, this job never ends after all.I am sure there are lots of moms out there that get overwhelmed with all they have to do in a day, everyday. It's a big job taking are of a family. So, even though I sometimes need a break, I truly love what I do.

I have a dear friend who thinks I'm brain washed. I think she sees me as a slave to my husband and kids, like I wait on them hand and foot, which is not the case. I am also a bit too into my absolute belief that DH is the head of this house and that I should submit to him. She does not like that. Strangely enough, this was never something he pushed on me, in fact I'm not sure we've ever even discussed it. It is just the way things are, and in my mind the way they should be. He is the head of our family and I am his helpmeet. And you know what? I am happy. I think that's what it all comes down to. I do not feel like a miserable slave. I am a happy homemaker. True, I might get overwhelmed, but who doesn't? I love my life, just the way it is.

You're The Reason Our Kids Are Ugly
Conway Twitty & Loretta Lynn

You're the reason I'm a-ridin' around on recapped tires.
And you're the reason I'm hangin' our clothes outside on wires.
And you're the reason our kids are ugly, little darlin'
Ah, but looks ain't ev'rythin' and money ain't ev'rythin'
But I love you just the same.
You're the reason I've changed to beer from soda pop.
And you're the reason I never get to go to the beauty shop.
You're the reason our kids are ugly, little darlin'
Ah, but looks ain't ev'rythin', and money ain't ev'rythin'
But I love you just the same.
I guess that we won't ever have everything we need
'Cause when we get ahead it's got another mouth to feed

And that's the reason that my good looks and my figure is gone.
And that's the reason that I ain't got no hair to comb.
And you're the reason our kids are ugly, little darlin'
Ah, but looks ain't ev'rythin', and money ain't ev'rythin'
But I love you just the same
I guess that we won't ever have everything we need
'Cause when we get ahead it's got another mouth to feed

--- Instrumental ---

Conway, why in the devil don't you go
And shave and put on a clean pair of pants?
But Loretta, look at yourself. Now I wish you'd take them
Curlers out of your hair and go put on a little makeup
And get out of that housecoat before supper.
Ha, well let me tell you something,
Conway, considerin' everything that I went through today,
I look like a movie star.
Eh-he-yeah, Ruth Buzzie.
Thankyee.
Besides that, all our kids took after your part of the family, anyway.

Oh they did, huh? What abouts the ones that's Bald?
(Laughs)
Well, I guess you could say they take after me...
(laughs)
(laughs)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, add me to the "brainwashed" club! I have quite a few friends who think I'm nuts to be at home rather than "working" at a "real" job, that I am allowing my husband to take advantage of me, that we do not have an "equal" marriage...you get the idea. Funny thing is, these same people are ALWAYS complaining about their husbands, have rotten marriages, and quite a few of those marriages are ending. Gosh, that sounds so judgmental towards them...I don't mean to judge, just compare that I am happy in my "brainwashed" world and they are not in their "liberated woman" world. And, yet, I don't consider myself the "little woman" either...we DO have an equal partnership, we just have different roles to play in the partnership.

I love your blog! It sounds like we have much in common!