BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND Friendster Layouts »

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Hey Jude

Melanie has been my best friend for about 18 years. She lives in Oregon with her hubby and four kiddos. I miss her terribly. Not a day passes that I do not think of her and wish we lived closer. Anyway, we were talking on the phone yesterday while she was getting her younger little ones ready to go pick up the oldest from school. In the middle of talking to me, she pauses and I overhear the following:


"Jude! If that's a booger on your finger do not put it in your mouth, on the couch, or on me!"

For some reason this strikes me as absolutely hilarious. Maybe it because my little kid days or over, I don't know. What really got to me is it was one of those, I can't believe we actually have to say these things sometimes. Back in the day, we would've sworn we'd never utter such a phrase.

Rewind to sixth grade. The two of us were part of a group of four. We were the cool kids. The in crowd. The "it" girls. A clique although we never would've admitted it back then. Everyone loved us, from the other kids to the teachers. I remember that time as us doing whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted. I once looked back on that time in my life fondly, then i started reading Queen Bees & Wanna Bes and suddenly became rather ashamed. I don't remember us being mean, but we probably weren't as kind as we could have been. But, I've stumbled off the subject here. Back in the day we were super cool and it was a lot of fun!

Now I'm 30 and Melly will be in May. In November, I'll be the mom of a teenager. I currently say things like "No, you may not watch a rated R movie!" And Melly says "Hey Jude!". It sure seems like a long fall from "it girl" to here.

0 comments: