BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND Friendster Layouts »

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I Ain't Drunk

photo by mseasons

Mary Ellen Hause was a teaching aid at Springboro High School in Ohio. She ended up in hot water after a photo of her posing with three teenage cheerleaders was found on one of the girl's Facebook pages. While it is not a crime to have your pic taken with your son's teenage friends, it is a crime to be hanging out with teenagers while they are drinking...the photo shows the girls holding Smirnoff bottles. Hause claims she did not know the kids were drinking when they gathered around her to take the picture. She ended up being sentenced to 30 days incarceration, a $500 fine, 3 years of probation, and 10 days of community service.

The whole incident upsets me on so many levels! How do you not notice liquor bottles in these girl' hands? I think her pleas of innocence are completely bogus and she just doesn't like that she got caught. When I was a teenager, everyone knew whose parents let them drink and would let friends drink at their house as well. Some parents are all about "if you are going to drink, do it here so you won't be out driving". As a teenager, these were the "cool" parents. As a parent myself now, the idea of another child's parent letting my kids drink, hanging out with them drinking, or even knowing that my kids were out drinking and not alerting me to it makes my blood boil. Add in the fact that this was a teaching aid, an authority figure over these kids, and in my mind it makes it worse. She set quite an example for these young people! So, I am quite pleased that she got more than just a slap on the wrist for this. Of course, this is just my opinion. Feel free to disagree with me.

2 comments:

Cassie said...

That is quite ridiculous! If she was dumb enough to not only show up at a party where teens are drinking and not say anything, but to also have her picture taken there, she definitely deserves what she gets!

Anonymous said...

Well, *I* won't disagree with you! How can you "not notice" kids drinking around you? Puh-leeze! If she is this dumb she needs to not be working in a place of education! I'm a parent who has told her children that drinking under the age of twenty-one will NOT be tolerated by me--it's not my rule, it's the LAW, and if they break it I'm not coming to their defense. Other parents have told me I'm mean and unreasonable, that kids will be kids and better to let them do it under my roof than sneak away and do it. Hello? Am I the only one who thinks it is wrong for kids to break the law, to aid them in breaking the law, and to give the message that it is okay to break the law? Heavy sigh.